Sydney Mike's Note:
Another great-tasting recipe from Touch of Home Best Holiday Recipes, 2008. NOTE: Make sure your candy thermometer is correct by testing it in boiling water -- It should read 212 degrees F. Cooking time is an estimate only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Coat the surface of a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the unsalted butter.
- 2Sprinkle coconut in a 12-inch circle on the prepared baking sheet.
- 3In a large, heavy saucepan, combine sugar & corn syrup.
- 4Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees F (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- 5Stir in macadamia nuts, pecans & remaining 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter, then cook & stir until mixture reads 300 degrees F (hard-crack stage).
- 6In another container combine baking soda, water & vanilla.
- 7Remove saucepan from heat, then stir in baking soda mixture.
- 8Quickly pour the hot mixture over the coconut.
- 9Cool before breaking into pieces.
- 10Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloha Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (587 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2589.7
- Calories from Fat 1198
- Total Fat 133.1 g
- Saturated Fat 30.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 1465.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 370.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 268.6 g
- Protein 14.0 g