Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another great-tasting recipe from Touch of Home Best Holiday Recipes, 2008. NOTE: Make sure your candy thermometer is correct by testing it in boiling water -- It should read 212 degrees F. Cooking time is an estimate only.
- Coat the surface of a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the unsalted butter.
- Sprinkle coconut in a 12-inch circle on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine sugar & corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees F (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- Stir in macadamia nuts, pecans & remaining 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter, then cook & stir until mixture reads 300 degrees F (hard-crack stage).
- In another container combine baking soda, water & vanilla.
- Remove saucepan from heat, then stir in baking soda mixture.
- Quickly pour the hot mixture over the coconut.
- Cool before breaking into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.