Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another great-tasting recipe from Touch of Home Best Holiday Recipes, 2008. NOTE: Make sure your candy thermometer is correct by testing it in boiling water -- It should read 212 degrees F. Cooking time is an estimate only.
- Coat the surface of a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the unsalted butter.
- Sprinkle coconut in a 12-inch circle on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine sugar & corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees F (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- Stir in macadamia nuts, pecans & remaining 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter, then cook & stir until mixture reads 300 degrees F (hard-crack stage).
- In another container combine baking soda, water & vanilla.
- Remove saucepan from heat, then stir in baking soda mixture.
- Quickly pour the hot mixture over the coconut.
- Cool before breaking into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
This was definately one unique recipe, but was this ever good. Definately will make this again. Made for PRMR tag.
LOVED this! I made it for my Mom for Christmas and had a very hard time actually giving it away! I wanted to keep it all for me! Thanks, Syd!
Very tasty! I made this as a gift for my sister-in-law who is from Hawaii. I think she will enjoy the flavor of coconut and macadamia nuts in this unique brittle. Thank you for the recipe. Made for PRMR Holiday Special.