Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Similar to Almost White Castle Hamburgers, but different too. Try them both and decide for yourself which one you like. Of course, we think these are the BEST - hope you do too! If a product name is mentioned, it's just what we personally use or prefer; other brands will work just as well I'm sure. Got this recipe from a friend and as Lucy said: "Here is a recipe for the best Whities you've ever had! Be sure to make a bunch of them - they go like hotcakes!!!" Figure 2 to 4 Whities for appetizer servings, 3 to 8 Whities as a main course. (Remember that teenagers will consume vast amounts more than we middle aged parents!) Sometimes it's impossible to find the 24 to a package party rolls, much less in an aluminum tray. You can use the rolls in a 12-pack - you'll just end up with bigger Whities.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat if necessary.
- Add the package of onion soup mix and the cheese and mix well.
- When the cheese is melted, add the mayonnaise and mix until well blended.
- Slice horizontally through the rolls so you end up with a top and a bottom.
- Spread mixture over the bottom rolls. Add a pickle slice if desired.
- Place the top of the rolls back on and set the whole thing back into the aluminum tray the rolls came in and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. (Or just wrap in foil if there's no aluminum tray.).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- To serve, set on plate and break apart into individual rolls.
- These freeze well, but freeze without the pickle slice. You can bake these frozen, they'll just take a little longer in the oven.