I love the hashbrowns you can get at Waffle House.I love mine fixed the way they call them "Scattered,Smothered,Chunked".But I don't always have the time or the money to go very often.So I decided to come up with what I consider to be close enough to them to satisfy that "Waffle House Hashbrown Craving".You could use regular potatoes that have been peeled and shredded,but for this recipe I prefer to use the refrigerated ones.Serve with your favorite style eggs and toast. Submitted to "ZAAR" on February 13th,2008
- Melt 1 Tablespoon margarine in a medium sized non-stick skillet,over medium heat.
- Add onion and diced ham,cook until onion is soft and ham is heated through.
- Spread ham and onion into an even layer,add rest of margarine in center of ham/onion mixture.
- Cover ham/onion mixture evenly with shredded potatoes.
- Cover potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid and let brown for about 5 to 10 minutes.(depending on how brown you like your potatoes).
- Remove lid and divide into 4 pieces,turn each piece over to brown other side.
This is definitely the way I have always enjoyed them at Waffle House....only one thing missing....the cheese!!!
This is a very good hearty hash brown recipe. I will make this again as it was liked by all. I lvoe the addition of ham in it as it gives it a completely different flavor. Very good, thank you for posting.