This is a quick, easy soup that uses ingredients that I keep on-hand. All measurements are general, and you may substitute your own favorite ingredients -- including vegetable stock so that it is truly a vegetarian dish.
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can le seuer peas (or 1/2 package frozen peas)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 -2 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- In a heavy stock pot, melt butter and saute onions until they are clear.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Let cook at a boil until veggies are tender.
- Add corn, and, again, bring to a boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Allow to cook together for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve with corn bread or other good bread, or fix rice to add to your soup bowls.