Emmie Gruchow's Note:
A healthy, gluten-free version of mac and cheese that can easily be made vegan (by substituting vegan cheese slices). Great for diabetics and hypoglycemics, and just about the tastiest thing without chocolate. I recommend using Galaxy Foods Rice cheese instead of soy cheese for a little bit more protein and a lot more taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml brown rice pasta
- 4 slice rice cheese (mozzarella style)
- 5 slice rice cheese (american style)
- 22.18 ml brown rice flour
- 177.44 ml plain unsweetened soymilk
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 354.88 ml fresh Baby Spinach
- 1Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add brown rice pasta and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cook for approximately 15 minutes on low boil, uncovered, stirring every two minutes. (To save energy, boil pasta for five minutes, and cover. Turn off heat, and let sit for twenty minutes.).
- 2Drain pasta and return to saucepan.
- 3To saucepan, add soymilk and rice cheese slices. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- 4Add flour, 1 teaspoons salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir until cheese sauce thickens.
- 5If you choose to add baby spinach- which I highly recommend- gradually add small handfuls of spinach to the saucepan over medium heat, stirring gently, until the spinach is wilted, but not soggy. This should take about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately, or let cool in refrigerator overnight. By some process I don't completely understand, the spinach improves the taste of this dish immensely if it is refrigerated for more than two hours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almost Vegan Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1217.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown rice pasta