Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A healthy, gluten-free version of mac and cheese that can easily be made vegan (by substituting vegan cheese slices). Great for diabetics and hypoglycemics, and just about the tastiest thing without chocolate. I recommend using Galaxy Foods Rice cheese instead of soy cheese for a little bit more protein and a lot more taste.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add brown rice pasta and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cook for approximately 15 minutes on low boil, uncovered, stirring every two minutes. (To save energy, boil pasta for five minutes, and cover. Turn off heat, and let sit for twenty minutes.).
- Drain pasta and return to saucepan.
- To saucepan, add soymilk and rice cheese slices. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Add flour, 1 teaspoons salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir until cheese sauce thickens.
- If you choose to add baby spinach- which I highly recommend- gradually add small handfuls of spinach to the saucepan over medium heat, stirring gently, until the spinach is wilted, but not soggy. This should take about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately, or let cool in refrigerator overnight. By some process I don't completely understand, the spinach improves the taste of this dish immensely if it is refrigerated for more than two hours.