1/11 Photos of Almost Tortuga Rum Cake
1 hr 40 mins
Heart 'N Soul's Note:
Next best to the original! On our visit to the Caribbean, we brought home the best Rum Cake I've ever had.... in fact it's the very best of all cakes I've ever had!!! I then thought I'd send for some to be shipped to us and found the price to be $35 for the med. size ( I paid $18 on the Island) So my search for the recipe began! You can not purchase Tortuga Rum ANYWHERE except in the Caribbean - Whaler's Vanille Rum should be a close match. This next best copy-cat comes from Newsgroup Rec.food.recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Basic Cake Mix
- 473.18 ml cake flour
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into bits
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
For the Cake
- 118.29 ml finely chopped walnuts
- 99.22 g package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 118.29 ml whaler vanille rum (Hawaiian-style rum)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Rum soaking Glaze
- 1Basic Cake Mix: In a large mixing bowl, combine basic cake mix ingredients.
- 2On low speed combine ingredients until the mix is the consistency of fine gravel, and all particles are about the same size.
- 3This mix may be contained and stored for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
- 4For the Cake:.
- 5Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 6Spray a large Bundt pan (12 cup) with nonstick cooking spray.
- 7Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on the bottom.
- 8Place Basic Cake Mix, pudding mix, milk, eggs, rum, oil, and vanilla extract in a large bowl and combine on medium speed with electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes, scrape down the bowl halfway through.
- 9Batter should be very smooth.
- 10Pour into Bundt pan.
- 11Bake for about 55 minutes- until fully golden and tester comes out clean and cake springs back.
- 12Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack while making the soaking glaze.
- 13Rum Soaking Glaze:.
- 14Combine butter, water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- 15Bring to a boil carefully as mixture boils over very easily.
- 16Reduce to a simmer and cook until sugar is dissolved and syrup is well combined and a little thicker.
- 17Remove from the heat and add the rum, mix to combine.
- 18While cake is still cooling, pour some of the hot syrup on top of the cake, allowing it time to soak in (this may take a few minutes as there will be a lot of syrup) continue to add syrup until all of the syrup is added.
- 19Allow cake to cool completerly in pan before turning out onto serving platter.
- 20This cake is delicate, so once it is turned out, it can not be moved around easily.
- 21Can be eaten when fully cool, but even better the next day!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almost Tortuga Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.4
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 104.0 mg
- Sodium 598.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 49.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g