Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a combination of several Newburg recipes. I just kept experimenting until I came up with one that satisfies my craving for Newburg but my "meat and potatoes" husband and children will eat. I think it's yummy.
- 2 lbs of cooked deveined shrimp
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sherry wine, depending on your taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package buttery round cracker (1 roll from a box)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Place evaporated milk and flour in a pot and heat and stir until thickened.
- Add half and half, clam juice, and sherry and continue to stir until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and cheese and stir until smooth.
- Place shrimp in the bottom of a casserole and pour sauce over.
- Crush crackers and mix with butter.
- Sprinkle crackers over sauce and shrimp and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly.
- You can omit the crackers and bake til bubbly then serve over rice.
We thouroughly enjoyed this dish! I served this with french bread and a garden salad. What a wonderful meal. Can't wait to make it again. I followed your instructions exactly using just a little over 1/4 cup of Sherry...PERFECT. Thanks so much, Bogey's Mom.