Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice alternative to meatloaf or a cheaper version of a roast. Easy to make and very tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ground beef
- 2 onions, grated
- 2 bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- browned breadcrumbs
- bacon, scraps
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cubed
- margarine or butter
- In a large basin, add beef, onions, boullion cubes, egg, and salt& pepper, and mix well.
- When thoroughly mixed, shape into a loaf and roll it in the breadcrumbs until it is completely covered.
- Place the loaf in a baking tin and lay strips of bacon over the top.
- Put the cubed potatoes around the edge of the loaf, sprinkling them with salt and smearing them with a little butter/margarine.
- Bake in the oven on 200C (400F) for about an hour.
- Serve with gravy.
this is quick and fairly easy to fix. the only issue i had was with handling the meat mixture--it was loose and very tricky to roll in the breadcrumbs due to the juice that grating the onions created. if i make this again, i will drain off the juice. it came out good and meaty--even DH-approved! (and he's not much of a meatloaf fan!) made for the bargain basement tag game.