Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is not the typical pasta or fruit salad. Really nice and light for a summer day!
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, thin slice
- 1⁄2 cup raw carrot, scrubbed and match-stick cut
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, match-stick cut
- 1⁄2 cup orange bell pepper, match-stick cut
- 1⁄2 cup snow peas, ends trimmed, cut in half, long way
- 2 green onions, medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper (to taste)
- salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, adding oil of choice in amounts you desire. (I like a flavored oil if I decide to use just white vinegar instead of balsamic).
- Toss and chill.
Although my wife (Chef Inge 1505) has alraedy reviewed this great recipe and submiited the photos, I will have to review it, too. Because it is really great. It brings together all the colours of the summer with a delicious taste. In the beginning I could hardly believe that so many ingredients would come well together. But what a surprise! My recommendation: Try it, love it.
This salad is absolutely fantastic!!! I wish my English were better to better express our enthusiasm. This salad has all DH and I look for in a summer salad. Freshness, crunch, color, flavor, flavor and more flavor. And as if this were not enough it also LOOKS great, so is good for company, too. :) - Her is something I did a little differently because of personal preference. I used chopped almonds instead of slivered and used raspbery vinegar (only 3 TBS, very sour vinegar) and 3 TBS walnut oil together with 1/4 t salt to make a vinaigrette. Using a lighter colored vinegar has the advantage of not discoloring the green cabbage I believe. - Did I say this is A GREAT SALAD? Thank you for this truely wonderful addition to my Zaar Favorites, Happy Harry.