Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You couldn't get any closer to a real perogie, than this out-of-this-world tasting perogie-style casserole. Sauerkraut may be added to the potato mixture if desired. To save time, the potato/cheese mixture may be prepared a day ahead, just heat them before spreading in the pan, the noodles could be boiled a day ahead as well. You will be very suprised at how much this casserole tastes like perogies...it is a must try! (note: prep time does not include boiling the noodles, or cooking the potatoes).
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked until soft (not el dente)
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked until soft
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Cook noodles until soft, remove to a bowl, toss lightly with oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- In a saute pan, saute onions in butter until brownish (do not burn); set aside.
- Cook potatoes (or heat if potatoes have been cooked before); add shredded cheese, potatoes must be hot to melt the cheese, and is easier to spread in the baking dish.
- In prepared baking pan, layer as follows:.
- In bottom of baking dish layer 4 noodles.
- Then cover noodles with half of the hot potatoes.
- Then half of the fried onion.
- Repeat, ending with the onions covering the top completely.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Let sit for half an hour before cutting.
- Note: Sauerkraut may be used, just drain very well, then add to the potato mixture.