Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
As a young kid running the streets with my friends, I remember going to the back door of the neighborhood tavern and begging the cooks for pierogies. Nothing tasted better than those pleaded for treats. Since I can no longer do that, here's the next best thing. Hope you enjoy.
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 6 cups prepared mashed potatoes (your own recipe or instant)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- minced garlic (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded white processed cheese
- sour cream
- Cook noodles a couple of minutes less than directed on package, you want them a little chewy.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter and saute onions until light golden; add garlic if using and continue to saute 1 minute.
- Add onions to potatoes and mix well.
- Spray 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add half of noodles.
- Top with potato mixture.
- Add cheddar cheese.
- Top with remaining noodles.
- Add American cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream.
- (For those who like it, you might like to add a can of rinsed and drained sauerkraut.).
This is a delicious casserole with a simple, yet interesting combination of ingredients. I used all sharp cheddar cheese and instant mashed potatoes. My kids loved it!
So yummy and a great comfort food!! Tastes just like piergoies! I used cheddar cheese just b/c I didn't have any american cheese and it was great! Can't wait to make it again!
This was soo yummy! Whole family enjoyed this, tastes very much pierogies. I had the sour cream, but forgot about it, so will try it next time, but it was excellent without. This is a great dish and one I will be making again.