Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
For everyone who loves those famous Oreo cookies, here's a recipe that is quite similar :)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 3 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening (NOT butter or margarine, use only plain shortening)
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- set oven to 325 degrees.
- Blend all cookie wafer ingredients; knead with your hands until it is pliable like dough.
- Form dough into 3-inch balls, Place on a greased cooke sheet 1/2-inch apart.
- Press down the cookies with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake 4-6 minutes, or until cookies are crunchy.
- Note: another way to do this, is shape dough into long rolls; refrigerate 2-3 hours, remove from fridge, and slice the dough 1/8-inch thick, then bake.
- Let cookies cool on sheets.
- FOR FILLING: Combine all filling ingredients; mix well.
- Form into balls about 1/2- 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Again, using your hands, sandwich one filling in the center of two cookies, and carefully press down until the filling spreads almost to the edge.
Made these several times now. Kids love them. Easy to make. I roll out mixture on a floured surface and cut out with a cookie cutter. I've found that works better for me. Thanks for posting. x
Yum! I have done this version and love how easy it is, but I have also tried a version where I made my own cookies too. Here is that * 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
* 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
* 1 t baking soda
* 1/4 t baking powder
* 1/4 t salt
* 1 C sugar
* 1/2 C plus 2 T butter, room temperature
* 1 large egg
Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart, or roll out to 1/4" thickness and cut using a round cookie cutter. Bake for 7 minutes at 375 F. Set on a rack to cool.
I am going to try this using melted bakers chocolate too, since I am not a huge fan of the cocoa taste. Oh, and definitely make them double stuff, or just use one cookie with lots of filling, because that is the best part of course! Try dying the filling for holidays, and using fun cookie cutters for any shape you want.
Great idea, thank you!
I've actually only made the creme.... It's SO good on graham crackers or alone....