Recipe by Petroushka
I wanted to create a one-dish meal. This comes close. There are quite a few ingredients and steps, but it is really easy to make. A sharp knife makes a big difference to the chopping. Ask your butcher to cut up the chicken. Serve over rice and cover all the food groups in a single meal.
Top Review by Bayhill
Yummy!! This was an easy dish with lots of flavor. I made this as written except that I used 4 boneless chicken breasts without the skin. I used the 3 cups chicken stock and served it over rice. My family devoured this and gave it 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!
- 1360.77-1814.36 g whole chickens, cut into 8-10 pieces (cut off excess fat)
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 59.16-118.32 ml vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 226.79 g white pearl onions, quartered
- 226.79 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 baby fennel, chopped or 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 473.18-709.77 ml chicken stock (depending on how much liquid you want)
- 1 whole fresh tomato, chopped
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning (or combination of basil, oregano and other preferred spices)
- 226.79 g bacon, diced
- 453.59 g white potatoes, diced small
- 340.19 g broccoli florets
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour, salt, pepper and chicken in a plastic bag. Shake well to coat all chicken pieces.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven (that has a lid that fits well). Fry chicken uncovered for 4-5 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add garlic, onions, mushrooms and fennel (if you use fennel seeds, you add these later), and cook for about seven minutes or until these ingredients are softened.
- Add the chicken stock, chopped tomato, Italian seasonings (or preferences), fennel seeds (if used) and chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the above items are cooking, and in a separate pan, cook the diced bacon. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
- Cook diced potatoes in the microwave for about five minutes. Then saute until tender in the pan with the bacon fat.
- Cook broccoli in the microwave for 3-4 minutes and set aside. Use the microwave dish you used for the potatoes.
- Add broccoli and bacon to the main pan (the one with the chicken). Cook for 3-5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.