I wanted to create a one-dish meal. This comes close. There are quite a few ingredients and steps, but it is really easy to make. A sharp knife makes a big difference to the chopping. Ask your butcher to cut up the chicken. Serve over rice and cover all the food groups in a single meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8-10 pieces (cut off excess fat)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 -8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 ounces white pearl onions, quartered
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 baby fennel, chopped or 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock (depending on how much liquid you want)
- 1 whole fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (or combination of basil, oregano and other preferred spices)
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 16 ounces white potatoes, diced small
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 1Put flour, salt, pepper and chicken in a plastic bag. Shake well to coat all chicken pieces.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven (that has a lid that fits well). Fry chicken uncovered for 4-5 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
- 3In the same pan, add garlic, onions, mushrooms and fennel (if you use fennel seeds, you add these later), and cook for about seven minutes or until these ingredients are softened.
- 4Add the chicken stock, chopped tomato, Italian seasonings (or preferences), fennel seeds (if used) and chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5While the above items are cooking, and in a separate pan, cook the diced bacon. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
- 6Cook diced potatoes in the microwave for about five minutes. Then saute until tender in the pan with the bacon fat.
- 7Cook broccoli in the microwave for 3-4 minutes and set aside. Use the microwave dish you used for the potatoes.
- 8Add broccoli and bacon to the main pan (the one with the chicken). Cook for 3-5 minutes to heat through.
- 9Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almost One-Pot Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.0
- Calories from Fat 458
- Total Fat 50.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 135.0 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: