1/2 Photos of Almost No-Knead Bread With Olives, Rosemary, and Parmesan
18 hrs 10 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Another great version of Cook's Illustrated Almost No-Knead Bread. Makes an unbelievable loaf of bread! An enameled cast-iron Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid yields best results, but the recipe also works in a regular cast-iron Dutch oven or heavy stockpot. Because of the high temperature required besure the pot (and lid) can handle the heat. You may have to improvise a new handle on the lid. I've also used my Romertofp clay baker and had wonderful results. This bread is so good, I'm tempted to invest in a La Cloche.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting work surface (15 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon fast rise yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 4 ounces finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives (pitted)
- 1/4 cup mild-flavored lager beer, plus
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored lager beer
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1Whisk together flour, yeast, salt, Parmesan, and rosemary in large bowl. Add water, olives, beer, and vinegar.
- 2Using rubber spatula, fold mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl until shaggy ball forms. (The dough will be very wet.).
- 3Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.
- 4Line inside of 10 inch skillet with a 12- by 18-inch sheet of parchment paper.
- 5Spray paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- 6Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead 10 to 15 times. Shape dough into ball by pulling edges into middle.
- 7Transfer dough, seam-side down, to parchment-lined skillet and spray surface of dough with nonstick cooking spray.
- 8Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until dough has doubled in size and does not readily spring back when poked with finger, about 2 hours. (I've also retarded the rising by placing dough in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.).
- 9About 30 minutes before baking, adjust oven rack to lowest position, place a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven (with lid) on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.
- 10Lightly flour top of dough and, using razor blade or sharp knife, make one 6-inch-long, 1/2-inch-deep slit along top of dough.
- 11Carefully remove pot from oven and remove lid.
- 12Pick up dough by lifting parchment overhang and lower into pot (let any excess parchment hang over pot edge).
- 13Cover pot and place in oven.
- 14Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake covered for approximately 30 minutes.
- 15Remove lid and continue to bake until loaf is deep brown and instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 210 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- 16Carefully remove bread from pot; transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almost No-Knead Bread With Olives, Rosemary, and Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (1201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2136.5
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 6297.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 308.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 85.3 g