Recipe by ThatBobbieGirl
Did you ever just start cooking without really having a clue where you were going to end up? My kids have gotten used to it by now. "Mom, what's for dinner?" "I don't know, it's not DONE yet. Let's wait and see what it turns out to be, okay?" Sometimes I let them name it. I really had absolutely NO idea how this would taste, but sometimes I come up with pretty decent stuff that way. Over the Memorial Day weekend, I thought I'd just whip up some coleslaw to go with my Bobbie-Q Beef (recipe for that may follow...eventually) But instead of reaching for a coleslaw recipe in a cookbook, I whipped out my handy-dandy Palm Pilot (how did I EVER get along without it?) and looked up the recipe for "Amish Macaroni Salad." I took that as my leaping-off point. First, I changed it from Miracle Whip to mayonnaise, then reduced the sugar. Also I added the celery salt, because, well, if it's good enough for a Chicago Style Hot Dog, it's good enough for me. Turned out that it tasted almost-but-not-quite exactly like Marzetti's Brand Slaw Dressing which comes in a glass jar from Your Grocer's Refrigerator Case. Which I just happen to like, so it was a good thing. Hope you give this a try.
Top Review by Dib's
Great Dressing. The only change I made was to use powdered sugar. This seems to give it that "Marzetti Texture" that's sort of creamy/smooth. My husband thought it was Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Came together under 2 minutes, flavor was exactly what I wanted, and there's enough dressing left over for tonights dinner! Thanks for posting! Di ;-)
- 473.18 ml light mayonnaise
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml white distilled vinegar
- 29.58 ml prepared yellow mustard
- celery salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and mustard in bowl and mix thoroughly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Using a large and very sharp chef's knife, slice cabbage into shreds fine shreds.
- Thinly slice or shred carrot and combine with cabbage in bowl.
- Sprinkle lightly with celery salt and toss.
- While stirring, pour just enough dressing over the prepared vegetables to moisten them nicely.
- (After it sits a while, there will suddenly be more liquid in the bowl than you thought there was- it will come off the veggies. So don't overdo the dressing. You can always add more later if need be.) Cover and chill.
- Refrigerate unused portion of dressing for later use.