Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I started with a 'Top Secret Recipes' recipe (thank you, TWoolfe) and made two changes suggested by a contributor to TSR. This is my favorite homemade coleslaw of this type! (Cook time listed is actually time for refrigeration.)
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head, chopped about the size of rice)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- Mix cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, milk, buttermilk, and tarragon vinegar and beat until smooth.
- Pour over the cabbage mixture; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving.
It's unanimous my whole family gave this one 5 stars. We love KFC coleslaw and this one is the closest to it. I looked at the other KFC recipe and decided to try yours because it has tarragon in it and KFC's coleslaw does have tarragon in it. Thanks so much this one is definitely worth repeating.
My husband said to make this from now on! We all loved this. I scaled it down to feed 4 people and there were no leftovers! I used basil vinegar instead of tarragon cause that's all that I had, and since I didn't have buttermilk, I just added a little vinegar to regular milk. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much!!!
This is a winner, Ginny. I've never made cole slaw before, so this was a first. And it's also the last. The last recipe I'll ever need for cole slaw! :) We loved it! I had tarragon vinegar that I was dying to use in something. So easy to make, but so delicious! Thanks Ginny!