Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Meals in Minutes.
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled, quartered, and boiled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells, cooked
- Combine potatoes and cheese together; mash until smooth.
- Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a skillet; add in onions; stir/sauté 10-15 minutes.
- Spread half the onions in a 13x9-inch pan.
- Stuff each pasta shell with potato mixture; arrange shells over onions.
- Sprinkle remaining onions over shells.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes.
These were a big hit in my family. Although they took me awhile to make, they were so much quicker than the traditional method and I thought they tasted as good as my grandmother's did.
I know, it seems I give 5 stars to everything--but I only try stuff that I will most likely enjoy. This recipe was great. I had never worked with shells before, so this was a bit time-consuming, but after the first few shells, it got easier. Since there was more than enough to cover the bottom of the pan, so I ate the extras without baking them. I highly recommend this--they taste good just like that! The only change I made was that I didn't peel the potatoes, since I like the texture and the added nutrition. The only change I would make in the future would be to actually add more margarine to the top, since it dries out a bit. But, this is true comfort food, and the combination of flavors is mild enough to please the whole family. I will definitely make this again. Thanks, NurseDi for another winner!