Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
When you're in a panic-mode for a side dish, try this. It takes less than 10 minutes and has come to my rescue several times.
- 2 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, white instant is fine
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Place everything in a microwave-safe bowl; mix.
- Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes (depending on your microwave size).
- Remove from microwave and fluff/mix with a fork.
Hubby & I both loved this. I used 10 minute brown rice & made a half serve with a half pkt of French onion soup mix. After fluffing it was a little dry so I just added another dob of butter and stirred through but 5 stars for simplicity & great flavour, a definite keeper. Thanks for posting!
I made this recently to go with tilapia. Quite pleasantly surprised! It is so easy since it's made in the microwave and I had all ingredients on hand. Just as easy as making some boxed mix but I imagine cheaper and healthier. I used dry parsley because it's what I had on hand. It made more than we needed but reheated well for another meal. Also, I tried 6 mins first and it still had too much water so cooked a little longer. I probably cooked 9 mins total. I am very glad I found this recipe!
We liked this. I had to use dried parsley - no fresh, and added a little extra butter at the end. Will make again. Thanks!