Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
Use "cheater" ingredients such as jarred pasta sauce, pre-cooked sausage, and minute rice for a delicious and quick jambalaya. It tastes so good you won't even know it isn't authentic creole! (shhh - don't tell anyone) This recipe was invented out of neccesity. I wanted a quick and easy to prepare jambalaya without having to deal with the time consuming process of doing it the old fashioned way. This makes great leftovers too - perfect for packing in a thermos to take to work/school the next day. I've also served this to guests for dinner and it's always a hit. :) ***note*** If you have time, and want more veggies, feel free to saute some onion and bell peppers before adding the pasta sauce. Since the sauce I buy has a ton of veggies in it anyway, I don't bother, but some people might want more.
- 1 (750 ml) jar chunky garden combination pasta sauce
- 3 spicy sausage, precooked type and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium shrimp, frozen, precooked, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup red hot pepper sauce, like Frank's (adjust according to taste)
- 3 cups instant rice
- Prepare instant rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a saucepan add in the pasta sauce, sausage, and hot sauce. Bring to a low simmer and then add in the shrimp. Continue simmering until shrimp have defrosted entirely and heated up.
- Serve on top of the instant rice. You may also mix the rice directly into the sauce, but I prefer my guests and I to be able to control the rice:sauce ratio. :).