Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Store bought spaghetti sauce can be pretty good after I make this stuff to go in it. I also use this on Manicotti. I usually make a big batch and freeze some of it.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 large onions
- 1 large bell pepper
- 3 -4 sweet banana peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 -4 celery ribs
- 3 -5 garlic cloves
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 (32 ounce) cans spaghetti sauce
- Take sausage out of skin and brown in a large pot like hamburger meat.
- Add chopped onions, peppers, celery, tomato and garlic. simmer until onions are clearing.
- Add the spices and zucchini, simmer until zucchini are cooked.
- Check and adjust spices, then add the store bought sauce to the mixture. There is no need to cook further, but letting the sauce steep will meld the flavors.
- Serve over pasta or manicotti with fresh grated Parmesan.