Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love this recipe because it reminds me of my mother. I remember her making it once as a child and now I love to make it for my son and husband. This is a quick and simple way to make a "comfort" food. You can also omit the chicken and cream of chicken soup for a great vegetarian dish. You can also prepare (do not add biscuits) and freeze this for a later time. I make 2 at a time. If choosing to make 2 at a time, just double all ingredients.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups of raw peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup celery
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cleaned (I prefer baby carrots already peeled)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas
- 2 (6 ounce) cans biscuits (I prefer ones that have butter in already in them)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil chicken breast and reserve 1 cup of the liquid.
- While chicken is cooling, add both cans of soup and can of chicken broth to the reserved liquid.
- Add all of potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, corn, and peas to this mixture.
- Cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Shred or cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Add chicken to mixture and stir together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add everything into a greased 13x9-inch pan.
- I prefer a glass baking dish or casserole dish.
- Top with the 2 cans of biscuits and bake at 350 degrees for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
DH and I love garlic but this had way to much. The garlic was all you could taste. We also prefer a much thicker filling. This ended up closer to broth than creamy.
It was definitely easy to make, but it was a bit runny. For personal preference I prefer a creamier, thicker filling. I loved the garlic, though! Nice touch.