Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This fluffy buttercream frosting works beautifully with our luscious Lemon Cake. Adapted from Almost Homemade Buttercream from Hello Cupcake! Irresistibly Playful Creations Anyone Can Make by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008.
- 16 ounces marshmallow cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Beat the marshmallow cream using an electric mixer set on low.
- Add the butter (in 1-inch pieces) and beat until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, and continue to beat on medium-high until smooth and fluffy.
This is a good substitute for 'real' meringue buttercream frosting. I am a semi-professional baker and use this on occasion to make a quick filling for cakes at home. I don't always have the time to make a true meringue buttercream. Liquors, fruits, etc. can easily be added to achieve a special filling. My favorites include Grand Marnier, Chambord or Bailey's Irish Cream. Yummmm!