Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother was one of those wonderful cooks who cooked with a handful of this and a pinch of that. Since her recipes were not written down, when she passed away we lost many of our favorites. It's just not Christmas without Buttermilk Pie so I searched until I found a recipe that was almost as good. It's pretty darn close!
- 2 unbaked pie shells, I use deep dish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup salted butter
- 6 eggs
- Heat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Melt butter.
- Add eggs to the butter and beat slightly with mixer.
- Add buttermilk and continue to beat.
- Add vanilla and the sugar mixture and blend.
- Pour into pie shells and bake for an hour until the pie is firm from center to edge and brown.
- The edges tend to brown pretty quickly so I cover them with foil after they reach the desired color to keep them from getting too dark.