Recipe by TooAllergic
I have to use GF breadcrumbs, but otherwise these are hers. I tried to find a similar recipe here... I thought EVERYONE put cranberries in the sauce! I e-mailed Mom for the recipe and the directions are in her words. This meatball is sweet, moist and tangy. Best of all, it is easy. As with my "second favorite meatballs", serving size is debatable. Enjoy.
Top Review by crunchymomof2
These were terrific. I made these during the christmas holiday while my dad was down. He couldn't stop raving about them. We had enough left over for the next night. The first night I served over rice. The second night we put them on hoagie buns. I couldn't fit them all on one casserole dish, so I used 2 & covered w/foil. Will be making these often.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (GF work great)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- "Combine first 5 ingredients, season with salt and pepper and chill (very important).
- While this is chilling, Combine the last 4 ingredients in a non-reactive pot. Simmer.
- Form meat mixture into balls and lay out in a 9X13 baking dish (any size meatball should work). You don't need to bake them or brown them! They hold together well, as long as they chill first.
- You can now carefully add the meatballs to your sauce and simmer for 1 hour OR you can pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover them with foil, and bake 1 hour at 325°F.
- Love you, Mom".