Recipe by MissLinguist
This soup is easy, almost fat-free (with no added oil or butter), 100% vegetarian, and 100% tasty. It's my own concoction based on my own "Basic Vegetable Soup." I'm giving the ingredients I used, but you can substitute ingredients that you prefer. I like to have Butternut Squash soup in the winter, but I think it's great and healthy any time of year. I used 1/2 of a butternut squash because I used the other half to make "Potato-free French Fries."
- 2 cups vegetable broth (may substitute water)
- 1 lb butternut squash (half of a medium-sized squash)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove seeds, peel, and cut the squash into small 1 inches cubes.
- Cut the zucchini and bell pepper into small chunks.
- Put all ingredients except spices into a 2 quart saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, on low heat for 30 minutes (the lentils will split--this is normal and you may use this as an indication that all of the ingredients are cooked).
- Do not drain the liquid.
- Pour the soup into a blender, add spices, and blend until smooth.