Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Food Network Magazine. It's supposed to be a copycat of Chi-Chi's chimichanga (baked instead of fried) with their Mexi-sauce.
For the Chimichangas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced-remove seeds if you want it more mild
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 40 inches flour tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded plus more for topping
- shredded lettuce, for topping
For Mexi Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces green chilies, canned chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- To Make Mexi-Sauce:.
- Saute onion and garlic in a skillet coated with cooking spray til tender. Add pinches of spices, sugar and salt and cook 30 seconds. Stir in the canned chiles and cook 2 minutes. Add broth and simmer til thickened nicely; puree. Stir in 1/4 c cilantro.
- To Make Chimichangas:.
- Preheat oven to 450. Melt the butter with 2 T oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl. Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno and cook til soft, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 t kosher salt. Toast 30 seconds. Add the tomato and cilantro and cook til slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and sour cream and warm through. Remove from heat.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with some of the butter-oil mixture. Spread about 2 T beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving 2" border on both ends. Top with 1 c chicken mixture and 1/4 cheese. Fold in ends and roll up.
- Put chimichangas seam side down on the baking sheet; brush them with the butter-oil mixture. Bake 8-10 min per side, brushing again after you flip. Top with sauce, more cheese, lettuce and tomato. Great served with mexican rice and more beans.
Outstanding. Even my husband loved, and he is not a big fan of Mexican food.