Prep 24 hrs 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I adapted this recipe from one I found at tofujerky.org. One of the few cheats I would do as a veggie was eat my dad's venison jerky. With his passing, we lost the family recipe. I recreated it to the best of my memory using tofu. The marinade also makes great baked tofu. Adjust the pepper to your taste. I usually double this recipe because we love it so much.
- Press and drain tofu between two papertowel-lined plates with weight on top for about 30 minutes. (one set of plates per tofu cake).
- Meanwhile prepare marinade by combining 2 T pepper and remaining ingredients in a large jar with a tight lid. Shake well to mix.
- Remove tofu from draining towels and cut each width in half. Cut each piece into 6 strips, for a total of 24 strips. Place strips 1/2" apart in 2 small or 1 large glass baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu, adding water if it doesn't come at least halfway up sides of tofu. Marinade 24 hours, turning every 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven or food dehydrator to 200°F
- Remove tofu from marinade and place 1" apart on dehydrator trays or 2 parchment lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle tops of tofu with half of remaining pepper, I like to grind it right onto the pieces.
- Dry for 6-24 hours depending on climate and equipment (the oven is much quicker), Turn after 1st hour and sprinkle opposite side with remaining pepper. Turn every 1-2 hours for even drying, until tofu is dry. It should be firm and reduced in size by about half, but not shrivelled and crisp. (If you overdry tofu try using it in place of fakin' bacon in a vegan BLT).
- Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks. It may weep in wet climates, that's ok.