Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Carrot cake without cream cheese frosting just isn't carrot cake. Due to an allergy to vegetable gum (xanthan gum), cream cheese is out of the question and mascarpone cheese is just too expensive. I needed to come up with a sub because the frosting in the can isn't that good. This recipe uses laughing cow cheese wedges and buttermilk to replace the cream cheese in the traditional recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (use only butter)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Laughing Cow light swiss cheese (2 wedges)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Combine butter and laughing cow cheese in a bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add milk and buttermilk and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more buttermilk if mixture is too dry.
- Makes enough frosting for a 9 x 13 pan.