Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favorite Caesar salad dressing. It comes together in minutes with a stick blender. I got the original recipe from a Fine Cooking magazine and in the past year I've made some adjustments until it suits me perfectly. I'm posting it mainly because I always panic if I can't find the paper I wrote it on. :) Note: this recipe uses raw egg. If that is of concern to you, use a pasturized egg. I don't usually care for anchovies but don't leave them out! It makes such a huge difference in the flavour. Use half as much if you are worried. NOTE: I had my first 'fail' with this last week. Please use a room temperature egg yolk and also make sure that the immersion blender is submerged right to the bottom before you turn it on. It doesn't like cold eggs. The taste will be there but it will be much thinner
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or other bland oil)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovies packed in oil, the original called for 6 so add more if you like them
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine both types of oil.
- Add all of the other ingredients EXCEPT the parmesan.
- Submerse a stick blender in to the mixture and turn it on moving it slowly up and down a few times. It will thicken beautifully. Stop the blender and add in the grated Parm and blend briefly.
- If you don't have a stick (immersion) blender you can use a regular blender but then have the oils separate in a measuring cup. Start the blender and once the other ingredients are whirling away on high add the oils in a steady stream until thickened. Stop the machine to add the parm and then blend quickly just to combine. Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- I hope you like it as much as we do.