- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa (unsweeted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, sugars, egg, and vanilla until light and slightly fluffy.
- Be sure to sift together dry ingredients, then stir into fluffed mixture, blend well.
- Add chocolate and nuts, if desired.
- Place dough balls about 2'' apart on a greased cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet immediately onto a cooling rack, or similar surface, as the cookies continue to bake past their desired texture pretty quickly!