Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a Sara Moulton recipe, this isn't a bakery Danish but hey, what do you expect in 30 minutes or less using sliced bread? ;-) For me, it's another toaster oven opportunity.
- 2 slices whole grain bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out bread with a rolling pin until flattened to about 1/16 of an inch.
- Stir together both cheeses, sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
- Brush some of the butter on the edges of the bread.
- Mound one half of the cheese mixture in the middle of each piece of bread.
- Fold over the bread to form a triangle and enclose the filling. Pinch the edges of the bread firmly together to form a seal.
- Arrange in one layer on a small baking sheet and brush the top of each turnover with the remaining butter.
- Bake the turnovers in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden.
I liked the taste, but I'm not sure if I would make them again. I wasn't crazy about the texture of the filling, but that is just a personal preference. Please make them yourself and form your own opinion :) I don't think they tasted at all like a danish. Also, there was too much filling that popped open the bread during baking, as you can see in the photos. Made for Newest Zaar Stars Tag Game. Linda