Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread that are a more practical shape than those made completely in the breadmaker. It fits into a 1 1/2 lb. breadmaker nicely. My family likes it so much, it is now the only bread we eat.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Combine ingredients in order given in breadmaker pail.
- Set for dough setting (2 hours).
- When done, remove from pail to a floured surface.
- Punch down.
- Grease 2 regular loaf pans.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- Roll into loaf size and shape.
- Place in greased pans.
- Cover with a cloth, and let rise 35 minutes, or until doubled in size, in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make 2 diagonal slashes on the top of each loaf.
- Place bread in centre of oven.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack, and turn out of pans to cool.
This is an excellent recipe. My family who normally does not like homemade bread loves this bread. I haven't bought store-bought in a week.
A lovely texture, up there with the best loaves I've ever made. I made one loaf in a loaf tin and one freestyled into a loaf shape and baked on a baking tray. Will be making this one again for sure!