Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
Almond flavor :P
Top Review by Asma
I made a cooking foible today and ended up with a cup of flour mixed with a cup of plain whole yogurt - instead of just the 1 tbs of flour that my recipe for yogurt soup required! Now, I never waste food and I love kitchen mistakes that open my world to new recipes, so this was a good opportunity to go searching through my cookbooks and zaar for any recipe that includes at least one cup of both yogurt and flour. This one was the winner! It's a spongy, moist cake. I took the previous rater's idea of sprinkling sliced almonds on top, which definitely added visual & textual appeal. I also substituted imitation vanilla extract (non-alcohol) for the almond extract, and followed the rule of (1 cup cake flour) = (3/4 regular flour + 2 tbs cornstarch). All in all this is a nice, simple cake with a good texture that would be good with tea - and it's not super sweet, which I prefer!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray a 9" cake pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well. Mix in yogurt and almond extract until mixture is smooth.
- Stir wet and dry ingredient together until just combined. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes, until tester just comes out clean.
- If you use an 8" pan, it will take a bit longer to bake. I think this is probably an extremely adaptable recipe in terms of add-ins and different flavors.