1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine or 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, margarine or butter, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and margarine almost melts. Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the side of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- 2Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- 3Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- 4In a small mixing bowl beat sugar and margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Stir in ground almonds.
- 5Roll dough to an 18x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with Almond Filling. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from a long side. Seal seam. Place seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Shape into a ring; press ends together to seal. Using kitchen scissors, snip at 1-inch intervals, making each cut two-thirds of the way to center. Gently turn each section slightly to a side. Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- 6Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- 7For icing, in a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough of the 1 to 2 teaspoons milk to make of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread. Top with sliced almonds.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Twirl Bread
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.3
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 134.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g