Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a very tasty dessert and is easy to make. It also takes little time to prepare and it can be prepared the day before.
- 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 3 nine (9) inch cake pans.
- Grate 3/4 tsp zest from lemon and squeeze 1 1/2 Tbsp.
- Grind almonds to a powder.
- Combine with flour.
- Separate eggs and beat whites to soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in 6 Tbsp.
- sugar and continue beating until whites are stiff and glossy.
- Beat yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until lemon-colored.
- Beat in lemon juice, zest and almond extract.
- Fold whites into yolks alternating with nuts until blended but still streaked.
- Divide among pans.
- Bake until cake comes away from sides of pan 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Beat cream with 3 Tbsp.
- sugar to stiff peaks.
- Put 1/2 cup cream in pastry bag with star tip.
- Spread 1 layer with half remaining cream.
- Top with second layer and spread remaining cream on top.
- Put third layer on top.
- Decorate with resettes of reserved cream.