Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, plus 1 tbsp. softened and divided
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar; beat in egg yolk and extracts, mixing well.
- Blend in flour and salt.
- Spread dough evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler over simmering water.
- Remove from heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Beat until chocolate is glossy.
- Spread over baked crust and sprinkle with almonds.
- Cool to allow chocolate to set.
- Cut into bars.
These are fabulous bars...really fantastic! I used a whole egg, and I added 1 t. baking powder to the base mixture. Also, to simplify things, when the base layer came out of the oven, I sprinkled the 2 c. of chocolate chips over it while it was hot, waited about 3 minutes, and then spread them evenly with a butter knife once they'd melted. Then sprinkled with chopped toasted almonds. At first I thought the almond extract in the mix didn't taste quite right, but once the bars cooled the taste was excellent! Everyone who sampled these thought they ROCKED. I kept them in the fridge. Would most certainly make these again!!