More sweet goodness from Southern Living. Although a candy thermometer is recommended for this recipe, if you don't have one, you can follow the directions and go by time and color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place almonds in a baking pan. Bake at 350°, shaking pan occasionally, until golden beneath skins, 10 to 12 minutes. Watch carefully; nuts can burn quickly! Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, finely chop.
- 2In a 5- to 6-quart heavy pan over medium-low heat, stir sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is deep golden brown (300° on a candy thermometer), 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and half the almonds (mixture may bubble up). Immediately pour into a 10- by 15-inch baking pan with 1-inch-tall sides. Let toffee cool at room temperature until set, at least 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl. Bring a few inches of water to a simmer in bottom of double boiler or a pan that the bowl can nest in; remove pan from heat. Place chocolate over water and let stand, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- 4Pour chocolate over cooled toffee; with a knife or an offset spatula, spread level. Sprinkle remaining almonds evenly over chocolate. Let stand at room temperature until chocolate is set, at least 1 hour (or chill about 30 minutes).
- 5To remove, gently twist pan to release toffee, then chop or break into chunks. Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days, or chill airtight up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Toffee
Serving Size: 1 (1833 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2178.5
- Calories from Fat 1157
- Total Fat 128.5 g
- Saturated Fat 61.1 g
- Cholesterol 244.0 mg
- Sodium 1294.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 257.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 233.6 g
- Protein 16.2 g