Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is soooo yummy! It's even good without the glaze. For more intense orange flavor, add some grated orange zest to the batter. This recipe came from a magazine many years ago.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In large bowl using electric mixer cream together 2 1/4 cups sugar, eggs, and oil.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternating with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in poppy seeds and flavorings.
- Beat together 1 to 2 minutes.
- Grease two loaf pans and divide batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees, or until it tests done with a toothpick.
- While loaves are baking, make glaze------------.
- In small saucepan combine sugar, orange juice, almond extract and butter flavor.
- Heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, then boil one minute.
- Keep warm.
- Remove loaves from oven when they test done and glaze while still in the pan with warm glaze.
- Cool 15 minutes, loosen from sides of pan and turn out of pan to finish cooling.