Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are extremely light and delicious. I like them hot, straight out of the oven, without the extra dusted sugar. It's a little chewy and sticky, just the way I like my tea cakes! This recipe is from En-Ming Hsu, Executive Pastry Chef at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease mini muffin tins and set aside.
- Sift 2 ounces of the sugar, ground almonds and cake flour in a bowl.
- Add 1 egg white to form a paste.
- In another bowl, whip the 3 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar.
- Continue to whip until the meringue is strong but not dry.
- Fold the meringue into the almond paste mixture and add the heavy cream at the end.
- Mix well.
- Fill the prepapred mini muffin tins half full.
- Bake promptly in the pre-heated oven until golden, approximately 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the molds.
- Cool the tea cakes about 5 minutes before unmolding them on a wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
- Store cakes in an airtight container.