Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Here is a little different take on Almond Bread. It is made with almond paste and has fruit stirred in. It is truly wonderful, moist and delicious; and it freezes very well.
- 1 (8 ounce) can almond paste
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries, chopped or 1 1⁄2 cups pitted chopped cherries
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons baking powder (1 tablesoon plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; reserve.
- Combine allmond paste and butter in a large mxing bowl; beat until well blended.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine blueberries (or cherries) and 1 tablespoon of the flour, tossing gently. Reserve.
- Combine remaining flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of dedged fruit. Repeat the layers once; spoon remaining batter on top and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.