Prep 40 mins
Cook 22 mins
this is a very good bread, excellent with tea or coffee
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box French vanilla cake mix
- 5 cups flour
- 2 (1 ounce) packages fast rising yeast
- 2 1⁄3 cups hot water
- 9 ounces almond paste
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- For bread, combine cake mix and yeast in a large bowl -- stir in hot water. Mix well Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down. Invert onto floured surface Cover with inverted bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Prepare FILLING: Combine almond paste, corn syrup and egg white and almond slices. Set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Roll half the dough into a 12x1- rectangle on floured surface.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons melted margarine, spread half the filling mixture in center of rectangle. Cut diagonal strips.about 1/4" wide down the 12" side of dough.
- Braid strips starting at top, continue crossing strips tucking end pieces under to seal. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375* for 22-25 minutes or light golden brown.
- Brush loaves with remaining 2 tbls melted margarine.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- Prepare TOPPING: Combine powdered sugar, milk and almond extract in small bowl. Stir till smooth. Drizzle over warm loaves -- sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Serve warm or cool completely.