Top Review by Cathy Billingham
Almond Tart is my husband's favourite and he really enjoyed this one. I had to add a glace icing to make it how he likes it, and that may have made it a tad too sweet. I will also find another pastry for the base as my store-bought puff pastry became a little tough and hard to cut through. I still give it full marks because it is really good. Thanks for sharing.
- 6 ounces frozen puff pastry
- 1⁄2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup plum jam
- 2 ounces almond paste, grated (leave uncovered in the refrigerator a couple of hours for easier grating)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take 2/3s of the puff pastry and roll out thinly to line a buttered 10 inch quiche dish or tart pan, allowing a 1 inch overhang all around.
- Roll out the remainder of the pastry slightly thicker and cut into strips that are ½ inch wide and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- Add 1 egg and beat well.
- Add 1 tblsp of the flour.
- Add second egg and beat well.
- Mix the almond extract with the milk and add it to the batter along with remaining flour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread jam on the pastry in dish to within 1 inch of the rim.
- Sprinkle the grated almond paste on top.
- Cover with the batter using a spatula, being very careful not to disturb filling Make a lattice with the pastry strips over the top and crimp the edges, turning in the overhang of pastry to form a rim.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 15 minutes longer.