Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Filled with herbs and nuts and grains, this is wonderfully healthy and a pleasure to eat! Africa/Middle East recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked cracked wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped parsley
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄2 cup almond oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint (or 2 tsp. dried mint, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Soak the cracked wheat in boiling water 1 hour; drain. Mix in tomatoes, parsley, green onions and almonds. Combine almond or olive oil with lemon juice, mint, salt and pepper. Toss dressing with cracked wheat mixture.
- Chill several hours for flavors to blend. Enjoy!
- Makes about 2 quarts.
This was a nice dish. I still prefer regular tabbouleh but the almonds were a nice twist on it. My 5 yo really liked it, which was a big surprise. Thanks! Made for Swizzle Chicks and ZWT6.
Almond. lemon and mint. Wonderful. I couldn't find cracked wheat where I live so after talking with Sharon I used whole wheat couscous and was very pleased with the salad. This is very simple to make and gets better with standing time. The salad would be spectacular with lemon grilled chicken but it made a lovely lunch on it's own. Made for Newest Tag.