Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Even tofu 'haters' will be intrigued by these tasty, crunchy little cubes!
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 egg, beaten with the water
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Oven toast almonds on shallow baking sheet 8- 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Press an almond sliver through the center of each tofu cube.
- Place cubes between paper towels to drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Using a cocktail pick, spear cubes, dip into egg mixture, then into crumbs, covering completely.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
- Tofu cubes may be made ahead and reheated for about 6 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
I, not a tofu 'hater', was also intrigued by this recipe. I made one substitution- used sliced almonds rather than slivered and used 3 per cube. I was really kind of disappointed in this- the idea is great and the texture of them is great... they are just very flavorless. Even with a dipping sauce the blandness of the cube is pretty unpalatable. I really like the texture and the concept of these, but they really need more flavor.