Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
The recipe is from Scandinavian Feasts by Beatrice Ojakangas.
- 4 large apples (Granny Smith or other tart baking apples)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, fine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream (or Vanilla Cream Sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Core the apples, leaving the peel, and cut lengthwise (stem to bottom) to make two halves each.
- Mix the almonds, sugar, and water to make a paste, and fill the centers of each apple half with this paste, dividing it equally.
- Place the filled apple halves on a cookie sheet with the filling side up.
- Drizzle the apples with melted butter.
- Mix the crumbs and brown sugar, and sprinkle over the apple halves.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Serve with 1/4 cup of cream each.
This is really special without special effort. I had almond meal on hand so that is what I used. It worked beautifully. We'll be having this again, PanNan.
Absolutely delicious. Very easy for such a great taste. Would also taste great with ice-cream or vanilla sauce. Thanks for sharing