I found this in an article on award-winning cookies--this one was submitted by a woman named Jillian Greene. YUMMY! She certainly deserved her prize!
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 11x16 inch jelly roll pan.
- In an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla.
- With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the flour.
- Pat the batter into the prepared pan, pressing it into the corners.
- Beat the white until frothy.
- Spread the white on the batter and sprinkle it with almonds.
- Transfer the pan to the hot oven and bake the mixture for 15 to 18 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Cut into 48 pieces (diamonds, squares).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.