I found this in an article on award-winning cookies--this one was submitted by a woman named Jillian Greene. YUMMY! She certainly deserved her prize!
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 11x16 inch jelly roll pan.
- In an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla.
- With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the flour.
- Pat the batter into the prepared pan, pressing it into the corners.
- Beat the white until frothy.
- Spread the white on the batter and sprinkle it with almonds.
- Transfer the pan to the hot oven and bake the mixture for 15 to 18 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Cut into 48 pieces (diamonds, squares).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Hi .. I just went to check my 'review' of this recipe.. and lo and behold I must have screwed up.. only my name is there! Sorry melismak. This recipe is absolutely scrumptious! However, I had some problems with the pan size and getting the bottom 'layer' to cover the pan. Initially, I used the pan stated in the recipe, but it was lots too big for the dough. So I then tried a 10x15 pan, which was also larger than the dough required, so left some of the pan 'uncovered' so to speak. Then I had an awful time getting the dough to stick to the greased surface, it was hilarious :) I must have done something wrong, and would like to have any tips .. to help me next time I make this recipe, which I most definitely will do. Thanks :)
That's ME!! Thank you for posting my recipe! I'm glad you all enjoy it so much.
Ummm. good...enjoyed this. Nice crunch. Makes a lot. catherine