- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups almonds, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg, milk, and almond extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Fold in the almonds.
- Spread the mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is lightly colored. Cool in the pan on a rack before cutting into bars.